Highlight text to annotate itX
LEAVES OUT OF THE BOOK OF SATAN
Four stories by Edgard Hoyer Adapted for film by Carl Th. Dreyer
directed by Carl Th. Dreyer cinematography by George Schneevoigt
So goes the legend of Satanas:
And God said to Satan, the fallen angel:
"You fell because you wanted what even I did not want.""
"In your pride you tempted men..."
"Satan, you shall continue your wicked work amongst humanity."
"Go out among them, take their shape.""
"And whoever yields to your temptation shall be judged by me.""
"And whenever your temptations are resisted, -
- you shall be relieved of 1000 years of your punishment.""
The first story.
Thirty years after the birth of christ.
It happened during the last days -
- of the wanderings of christ upon this earth.
On the second day before aster -
- the priests and the scribes were gathered in the house of caiphas.
The teachings of christ had offended the scribes, and Satanas, -
- who found the ground prepared for his evil seeds, -
- took the form of a Pharisee and went to caiphas.
Satanas - Helge Nissen.
On the same evening, Jesus and is disciples were guests -
- in the home of Simon the ***. Jesus - Halvard Hoff
But Satanas found easy ears with the priests and the scribes, -
- who feared the favour Jesus had won with the people for is miracles.
I am just out of Bethany, where everybody speaks of Jesus.
After the raising of lazarus from the dead, -
- Jesus is hailed everywhere as if he were a king.
but Satanas is secretly grieved to see that the seed he has newly sown -
- is already beginning to bloom..
If we let him go on in this manner, everybody will believe him in the end -
- and our temples will stand empty.
The anointment of Jesus.
and the woman poured ointment on the feet of Jesus -
- and dried them with her hair.
Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred pence -
- and the money given to the poor?
but Jesus reproved Judas, saying: "Let her alone.""
"For the poor ye have always with you, but me ye have not always.""
but the scribes claimed with one voice -
- that caiphas should let Jesus be seized and slain.
Your will shall be satisfied.
Woe to him, who opposes us. He must die!
Why do you believe in him? God's son is what he calls himself.
The devil"s son is what he is.
and you have been tied by the power of the devil.
We shall meet tomorrow at noon-tide outside the Golden Gate.
I know you will come.
The next day was the first day of the festival of the unleavened bread.
Judas had spent a sleepless night, -
- harassed by the doubts put in his head by the Pharisee.
But towards noon he felt -
- as if a will stronger than his own -
- directed his steps towards the Golden Gate.
I mean no ill by you. only the salvation of your soul.
But on this day the disciples had come to Jesus and asked im:
"Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the pass-over?""
and Jesus answered: ""Go into the city, and there you shall meet -
- a man carrying a pitcher of water. follow him.""
You suffer, and it is his fault. he promised you a Messias ingdom.
but he is not God"s son, only a man. An impostor.
He is doomed. He must die.
and Israel's God has chosen you for his tool.
I cannot do it. I will not do it.
Swear not. I know you will.
I shall expect you at the well -
- when the Romans sound the second change of the watch.
And when the hour had come, -
- he sat down to eat, and the disciples with im.
and when they were eating, he said: ""Verily I say unto you, -
- one of you will betray me.""
Master, is it I?
and he broke the bread, dipped it, and gave it to Judas, saying:
"That thou doest, do quickly.""
and Jesus blessed the cup.
and having sung the hymn. -
- Jesus and the disciples went out to Gethsemane.
but at the same hour, -
- men of the Jewish temple guard went out at the bidding of caiphas -
- to seize Jesus, and Roman soldiers accompanied them.
Lord, where are you going? We are tired. et us stay here.
and Jesus rose from is prayer and went back to the disciples, -
- but found them asleep with sadness.
How am I to know Jesus?
The kiss of friendship shall be the sign.
and Jesus prayed:
"Abba, my ather, if it is possible, take away this cup form me.""
but Jesus said: "The hour is near -
- when the Son of Man will be betrayed by the sinner.""
and Jesus asked: ""Who are you searching for?""
but Jesus asked once again: ""Who are you searching for?""
and Jesus said:
"Judas, are you betraying me, the Son of Man, with a kiss?""
but Satanas, the fallen angel, whose whole heart was set -
- upon finding favour again in the eyes of the lmighty, -
- he was grieved to see his evil work completed.
and his grief was deeper, because it had fallen to his lot -
- to deliver the son of God into the hands of human tormentors.
but the Lord"s voice was heard: "Continue thy evil doings."
Setting: Seville in Spain.
Setting: Seville in pain.
Time: 16th century.
In the 16th century, the Spanish Inquisition was at the height of its power.
countless are the reports from those days -
- about the horrors of the torture chambers of the Inquisition.
the noble don Gomez de castro, who, much to his own satisfaction, -
- was a diligent student of the modern sciences, astronomy and astrology.
don Gomez de castro - Hallander Hellemann.
his daughter Isabella, receiving instruction in mathematics and history -
- by the learned monk don Hernandez y Argote
Isabella - Ebon Strandin don Hernandez - Johannes Meyer.
José, the butler. José - Nalle Haldén.
My nephew, count Manuel, intimates that -
- he has been granted leave from his duties in the war -
- and will pay us a visit.
In vain, don Hernandez subjects himself to the strictest penances.
his thoughts always dwell upon Isabella.
the Grand Inquisitor. Satanas - Helge Nissen.
don ernandez has become so engrossed by his desire for Isabella -
- that even the holy saint at the foot of the cross -
- to his eyes assumes the figure and expression of Isabella.
My son, why do you not put yourself at the service of the Inquisition?
Remember: for the Inquisition, nothing is unattainable.
a few days later.
count Manuel de errera. count Manuel - Hugo Bruun.
circumstances that I cannot explain -
- have compelled me to take this decision.
It is with grief that I leave this house, -
- whence I take the most cherished memories of my life.
for Isabella and Manuel the weeks passed as if in children"s play.
and the day came when Manuel must resume his duties in the war.
At the same time, -
- don Hernandez swore unqualified allegiance to the Inquisition.
Swear that you will be ready to serve God ...
... and will be prepared to give up anybody, -
- even your father and mother, sister or brother, -
- to the holy punishment of the Inquisition.
Look, Saturn is opposite its own sign - in the death house.
My last hour is near!
In the antechamber of the Grand Inquisitor.
Be not surprised. José is a faithful friend of the Inquisition.
You are right, José.
He who pretends to read God"s will in the stars is a heretic.
You have heard José"s evidence. don Gomez is a heretic.
and a heretic"s daughter is a heretic, too.
It will be your first task to bring them both -
- safely behind the walls of the Inquisition prison.
Is your belief no greater? have you already forgotten your oath?
When the shadow on don Gomez" sundial showed -
- that the day was drawing to its end ...
he torture chamber of the Inquisition.
untie him. the trial is over, for the present.
the trial is over for ever.
God, have mercy on the poor sinner.
the Inquisition Prison.
I order you to continue the trial in the torture chamber.
I am not master of myself in the presence of this woman.
What is the body of a heretic to me, as long as her soul be saved?
Next morning, the sun rose like on any other morning.
... the court sentences Isabella to be burned at the stake ...
But the lord left Satanas no time for contemplation.
With inexorable severity, the words of doom rang in his ears:
continue thy evil doings.
Setting: Paris. Time: utumn 1 793.
On the 21st January, 1 793, -
- Louis XVI was beheaded as a victim to the Republic of iberty.
Many hands were now busily erecting the guillotine -
- for Queen Marie Antoinette.
during the night between the 1st and 2nd August 1793, -
- the unfortunate queen was removed from the prison -
- in the temple to the conciergerie, -
- called ""the Prison of the condemned"".
Marie Antoinette - Tenna Frederiksen.
and the queen was made to sign a receipt -
- evidencing that she had been duly handed over -
- to the prison ward of the conciergerie.
one month later,- on the 5th eptember 1 793, -
- the Paris convent enacted the sinister law -
- instituting the Army of the Revolution.
accompanied by guillotines, this army in small detachments -
- was to make a circuit of the French provinces -
- to incarcerate and execute ""all suspicious characters"".
The music room of chambord castle.
count de chambord - Viggo Wiehe.
countess de chambord - Emma Wiehe.
Lady Geneviéve de chambord - Jeanne ramcourt.
The guillotine is coming! The guillotine is coming!
In times like these, each man is nearest to himself.
these itinerant tribunals -
- with authority to pass and execute death sentences on the spot, -
- were presided over by a people"s commissar, -
- whose only qualification was that he must know and show no mercy.
the people"s commissar - Emil Helsengreen.
Joseph, I know you will grant your master his last wish.
Promise that you will lead my wife and daughter into safety, -
- and that you will for ever remain a loyal friend to them.
Joseph - lith Pio.
""here is thus indisputable evidence that the count the chambord -
- has been the actual leader of a conspiracy -
- to help the former Queen of rance, the Widow capet, -
- to flee the country.""
an escape in the night.
In the conciergerie.
After a wearisome couple of days" travel, -
- the fugitives from chambord were approaching their temporary goal:
Joseph had succeeded in obtaining a forged passport -
- made out to citizeness Grandet and her son and daughter, -
- by which they hoped to be admitted undetected into Paris.
In the taproom of the Parisian "Taverne Pitou"", -
- Michonnet, the popular singer, -
- was admired and applauded for his rendering of ""a Marseillaise"", -
- which in those days had just become popular in Paris.
Old Pitou - Viggo indstrom.
On the high road.
At the city gates.
Erneste durand, -
- up to quite recently a footman in the service of count de chambord, -
- is now heart and soul engrossed in the new political ideas.
Satanas - Helge Nissen.
I deserve no thanks, for I merely did my duty.
But if you wish to make me glad, then please bestow upon me -
- the medallion with your daughter"s image as a keepsake, -
- which I know you always wear.
I give it to you gladly, -
- for you have the right to claim the best from me.
Have no fear! I promise that I will not give them away.
They have always been kind to me.
Why should I return evil for good?
They are the coming men, -
- and meet here every night to discuss the political news.
In the conciergerie.
Nothing at that time was abused as much as the motto:
Liberté - Egalité - Fraternité ( Freedom - quality - brotherhood)
It was printed everywhere. Even the tattooer used it for his art.
Believe me: hat fellow will go a long way.
With his gift of the gab -
- he is certain to reach the highest posts in the state.
What was I two months ago? A servant like yourself.
Now I belong to the inner circles of the Jacobin club -
- and am on the point of securing a seat in the convent.
You may go as far, if you will.
his card admits you to the sessions of the Jacobin club.
Be there tomorrow, -
- when I shall introduce you to some of my political friends.
At the conciergerie -
- the dregs of the imprisoned women gathered almost daily -
- below the window of Marie ntoinette"s cell, -
- whence they hurled the lowest insults at the poor queen.
That wicked witch is the cause of all our misery.
Why don"t they make her a few inches shorter?
Here I have kept the latest issue of ""Pére duchesne"".
I suggest we give it to her Majesty.
By now she must be fed up with the history of the Passion of christ.
The tyrant is dead, but his *** and cursed brood are still alive.
You will not have peace before they are destroyed.
Watch out! Freedom is at stake!
Some time has elapsed.
Through Erneste"s influence -
- Joseph already belongs to the most trusted henchmen of the Jacobins.
Why don"t you pluck up the courage to propose to her?
You forget that you have means and ways to force her.
do you think she wants herself or her mother adorned -
- with the collar of the guillotine?
At the conciergerie.
For Marie Antoinette all secular ties have been severed -
- save the one which forever will bind a mother to her child.
At her *** she kept her son"s portrait and a lock of his hair, -
- both successfully smuggled into the prison -
- in an old yellow glove.
Although Joseph now belongs to the Revolution with all his heart, -
- he does not for one day fail to visit his former masters, -
- who, thanks to him, have been accorded tolerable conditions.
This period of terror so brutalized the human mind -
- that even children devoted themselves -
- to playing with the guillotine.
The public prosecutor.
citizen cat is guilty of contempt of the Republic -
- by having worn in public the white colour of the court, -
- and so he must catch it in the neck!
In the meantime Joseph had a long interview -
- with the countess de chambord.
The subject matter was known to no one, -
- and no one must know.
On the way to the guillotine.
You have given ample proof of your loyalty -
- and endangered your life for our sake.
Joseph, you know I hold you in great esteem as a generous friend.
But you know, too, -
- that anything more than friendship between us is impossible.
Long live liberty!
But on the same evening a poor cripple, -
- whom an evil fate had even made deaf and dumb, -
- paid a visit to Fouquier-Tinville, the public prosecutor.
Fouquier-Tinville - Vilh. Petersen.
Countess de chambord and her daughter Geneviéve -
- are hiding under the name of Grandet in t. Antoine Street, -
- and are on the point of fleeing the country.
Meanwhile, preparations for the flight -
- were in progress in t. Antoine Street.
The cripple had achieved his object, -
- but there was no exultant joy of victory in his eyes.
For he was Satanas, disguised in the cripple"s poor clothes.
Satanas who must tempt mankind in obedience to the divine doom.
You ask about our names. Read them in our passports.
My child, I am too old to tell lies.
Yes, I am the countess de chambord, -
- and the young lady at my side is my daughter, Lady Geneviéve.
But you, citizen ...
... you whom we all considered a good patriot ...
You wanted to help the aristocrats flee, did you?
countess de chambord and her daughter Geneviéve -
- are hiding under the name of Grandet in t. Antoine treet.
Now I understand.
You are the real informer who sent the letter.
There are problems which are hard nuts to crack, -
- even to a Fouquier-Tinville.
Now, speak up.
did you or did you not send the letter?
You shall not in vain have shown devotion to the Republic.
The office of police prefect falls vacant in the immediate future, -
- and I shall see that it is given to you.
Judas' reward falls to Judas.
On the 14th October 1793 -
- Marie Antoinette was taken before the Revolutionary ribunal.
The trial lasted two days.
When she returned to her cell -
- during the night between the 15th and 16th, -
- the jury had unanimously sentenced the Queen of the French to death.
On concorde Square -
- the executioner and his assistants dressed Marie Antoinette"s death bed.
While the day was slowly dawning, -
- Marie Antoinette wrote her famous, tear-stained letter -
- to her sister-in-law, Princess Elisabeth.
The letter which has passed into history as -
- ""Marie Antoinette's Testament"".
October 16th 4:30 a.m.
This letter to you, my dear sister, will be my last.
I have just been sentenced, not to a disgraceful death, -
- for it is disgraceful only to criminals, -
- but to leave this earth to join your brother, -
- innocent like him ...
In another cell, not far off, -
- another woman was writing.
To Joseph Gilvert from Lady Geneviéve de chambord
At this moment I can hear the death-cart rumble into the yard -
- to take my mother to the scaffold. These lines are my last appeal to you.
Erneste is the soul of a conspiracy to liberate the queen.
Help him and I shall forgive you, and bless you in my last moment.
Take this to Joseph, with my final farewell.
Of the miserable clothes left to Marie Antoinette, -
- at one time the most beautiful lady in France, -
- she had dressed this morning as if for an occasion.
It is her you have to thank -
- for me making a traitor of myself to the Republic.
Yes, I remember the young woman well. Where is she now?
She has been beheaded?
Who was callous enough to hand that child over to the executioners?
Be quick! The way is clear.
Remember your promise to Genevieve, -
- and do not think of yourself.
But of wounded vanity, in the flare of a moment"s anger, -
- Joseph forgets his solemn vow to Geneviéve and the queen, -
- whose fate had been entrusted to him.
Now she is being prepared for death out there.
Is that good enough for you?
Three women"s faiths have been betrayed by you.
Three lives you have wasted.
Murderer is your true name, just like Satanas is mine.
Eternal damnation to you, -
- who dragged me into your ruin.
In the agony of despair, Satanas pauses in his wanderings, -
- which, paved as they are with dashed hopes, -
- seem to carry him further away from his eternal salvation.
For him there is no mercy. Anew is heard the voice from above:
continue thy evil doings!
Setting: Finland. Time: Spring 1918.
Everyone knows the marvellous picture of Finland -
- symbolized by a young woman, fighting the Russian eagle.
Was not fresh life given to this picture -
- when the Red insurrection made its way from Russia -
- across the Finnish frontier?
Our last story takes place in the little town of Hirola, -
- which was partly occupied by the Reds in the spring of 1918.
The White eadquarters.
corporal Matti receives orders from his commander -
- to lay telephone and telegraph wires -
- across to the railway station of Hirola.
corporal Matti - christian Nielsen.
If you will not be mine, -
- I shall inform on your husband to the Red tribunal.
Next day. corporal Matti on his way to Hirola.
Thank God you came.
That means we shall get real coffee again soon, doesn"t it?
Siri goes into the woods to gather bark -
- for baking with flour.
Matti and his men proceed to Hirola.
Go and meet her - hurry up.
The Red tribunal.
In this story from our own time, -
- Satanas is represented by the Russian monk Ivan, -
- who has rushed to the aid of his Finnish ""Red"" brothers -
- against the "Bloodhounds of the White Guard"".
Satanas - Helge Nissen.
I am afraid we shall have to acquit him.
Let him have a bullet when you get into the woods.
And now for a bite to eat.
Ivan has turned the schoolroom of Hirola into a lecture hall, -
- and there is always a devout audience -
- when he gives his social lectures.
Rautaniemi has fought a fierce battle with his own conscience, -
- but it is as if a power beyond his own control drags him -
- towards the school house of Hirola.
Now I know how to avenge my father.
Take me to your commander at once.
I want to join the Finnish army.
The Red catechism
You need only fear one God: your own will
You need only obey one law:
The one you make yourself with the blood of the rich.
Where do you live?
I no longer have a home.
You must give an address anyway, -
- where the body may be sent if you are killed.
It makes no difference to me -
- as long as I am buried in Finnish soil.
May the pact you are making now be a blessing to you.
One evening, about a week later, -
- just after the last train had left Hirola.
In the Red headquarters -
- important discussions were in progress on the same night.
I"ll tell you. The Whites have established a connection -
- by telephone and telegraph, to the station.
We must catch Paavo off his guard -
- and force him to draw the Whites into an ambush.
I must be off to the inn, and get hold of the boys.
oftly! It is not time yet.
Send that telegram to the Whites.
The Reds have occupied the railway line.
You can waylay them -
- if you go by the main road through the wood along the river.
The Reds ...
If you don"t obey my command, your husband will be shot.
don"t do it, Siri.
You are now going to die, -
- but even the worst of sinners has a claim -
- to be comforted by religion.
Naimi cannot wait for Matti any longer and goes over to the station, -
- well armed with hand grenades, to meet a contingency.
does she now belong to me?
In a few seconds, your husband will have drawn his last breath.
Will you not reconsider, while there is still time?
dear God! Give me the strength to resist the temptation.
Your husband"s life can no longer be spared ...
... but there is still time to save the lives of your children.
This is my last warning.
If you refuse, your children will be dead in the next instant.
do your duty.
Forgive me, Paavo.
I did it only ... for Finland"s sake.
Siri"s simple heroic deed released Satanas -
- from a thousand years of his doom.
But the doom pronounced by the ord -
- was written with the characters of eternity, -
- and its words urge Satanas on to new goals, new fates.